Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I haven’t forgotten

It’s the start of a New Year, and you know what that means. It’s time to set goals – renew that commitment to step away from the donuts and hit the gym. To actually wake up the first time the alarm goes off. To finally make a dent in that looming student loan (ha ha, right). 

It’s also a time to look back and see where I've come since the last year.

I love the chance to reflect on the sweet memories, the hard times that knocked me down, the regrets, and the second chances.

But this year, instead of thinking of just the past 12 months, I’ve been looking much further back. I’m only just beginning to see the lasting impact of all those who have been part of my life, no matter how briefly.

I’ve had so many wonderful people in my life, but I’m not great at staying in contact, and I'm worried they might think I’ve forgotten about them.

I haven’t. 

Every moment is stuck to me forever, and shapes who I’m becoming.

So here’s a rather lengthy trip down memory lane – a note of thanks for everyone who’s helped me get to this point.

Starting with the most recent, I have to give thanks to my Hayes Ward girls: Atonte, Alyssa, and Deli. I am so blessed to have you and I’m sad I don’t see you more often.

Thanks to my Britannia mates: Richard, Nicole, Becca Burns, Caroline, Dee, Kiri, Andrew, Nicki Wilkes, and the rest of my YSA family.

Thanks to the whole Westminster crew: Jordan for our late night Nutella binges and Disney chats, Kristen for cheering on Amurricuh with me, Greg for showing me around Scotland and for being so supportive when I broke down, Tommaso and Paddy for teaching us about little known Olympic sports like curling, Preethi for just being wonderful, Bibek for talking college football with me, and the rest of the crew. MA International Journalism forever! And to Genevieve for our late night chats over samosas.

Special thanks to Terri Lou Lou and Char for being my rocks at the Y, Brandalyn for welcoming me as a roommate, Amanda for teaching me Spanish, and Kabria for teaching me about the joy of woodworking. Plus Kathryn and Giselle for their mad ‘N Sync moves, and Ashley Hoopes for her wise words and delicious baking.

Thanks to Downtown Shana Brown for her wonderful support, plus Steph & Megan Holt for being such a fun presidency. Thanks to the Promenade 1 girls: Emily Zippi, Erin, Melissa, and Becky who treated me like a fifth roommate. And Holly Slabbert for bring the cool to the Single Tree.

Then there’s the SUU kids.

A special thanks to the Stadium Way gang. Such wonderful people, even if the management was terrible and the hot tub never worked. I’ve rarely witnessed such kindness as I did from the likes of Ashleigh Dudley, Jessica, Lauren Johnson, and Abish, who still let me come over after I dumped a whole bowl of Doritos on their couch the first time we met. Plus Tami, Lauren and Kestri who put up with me on a regular basis.

Then there’s my wonderful roomies- Whit squared, Sha-Ray, Libs, Ti, and Westenskow. So many good times, it’s hard to keep track. From Vegas to burnt brownies, we experienced it all.

They also formed part of the original JC3 sisterhood (may Juniper rest in peace…). Thanks to Jamie Hanson for her unfailing cheerfulness and spring in her step, Kinsey K for her patience with my crazy antics, Laura for helping me dress in goth for Halloween among other things, Rachel for her kindness, Kaycee for making us smile, Charlie for her level of intellect that we all aspired to, Hilary for keeping us together, and the rest of the lovely girls who made my freshman year so great.

Then there’s high school, which wouldn’t have been half as interesting without the “ding dongs” – Bri, Alyssa, Cori, and Mel. We’ve been through it all, and lived to tell the tale. Plus a shout out to the guys from the posse – Ryan, Cory, Dan, Curtis, and Scotty. I’ll never forget when they brought us each a rose during choir class. Such thoughtful friends. Then there’s Kitchen, Mike, and Alex. Who could forget Jordan’s shimmying?!

I’m also grateful for Sarah Huggard, Kellie Wentz, and Lyndsi Bromley (yes, I know you all have married names now!) You were such amazing examples to me in high school, and I miss you.

I also miss Loran Ross and our epic failures while responding to dance date invitations. And Ashley Holliman- to softball and beyond. Plus there’s the Manila 7th laurels – Lindsay, Kylie (quit your teasin’!), Marsha, Ambre, Kymber, and the rest who made me feel so welcome when we moved into the neighborhood. Thank you for giving me such confidence.

Then there’s my long-time pals. Miss Nonia B who’s seen me through it all, and still sticks by me after 15 years! Such a beautiful person inside and out. I still remember your mom warning us that ‘A Walk to Remember’ would make us cry. We didn’t believe her. Silly us.

Whitney Brielle - I could write a thousand blog posts of memories and it still wouldn’t be enough. So much love to you.

I know there are important people that I didn’t mention. It doesn’t mean that they matter any less than those I did mention. I still love you all! Please don’t hate me.
Thanks for your willingness to be a part of my story. I will honestly never forget it, even though we all have to keep moving forward in life - new relationships, locations, jobs, additions to the family, etc. No matter what 2015 holds for you, I hope you find happiness and peace!

1 comment:

  1. So many wonderful lives you've touched. Have a beautiful new year!!! Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete