My parents were born the day after each
other in September (minus a few years).
When I was really young, I used to think I
would be required to marry someone born around my birth date, too.
The coolest part about having parents that
share the same birthday week is the ability to brag about them in the same blog
post.
Here are the five best things about my
parents.
5. Their ability to laugh at the crazy
things we did as kids.
We didn’t make parenting easy on them. In fact, the
classic line used around my house was, “See, this is why we can’t have nice
things.”
I remember my little brother using markers to color all over the walls
when he has younger. Instead of getting upset, my dad put his arm around my mom
and said, “I think he’s going to be an artist just like his dad.”
4. Their excellent taste in music.
On long
car trips when we were kids, there would come a point (usually around the
Utah/Nevada border) where dad couldn’t take Radio Disney anymore. It was at
this time when we were treated to “the classics” as he called them. Us kids
would complain that we didn’t want to listen to his “old fogey music,” but
nevertheless we endured mom and dad singing Journey, Billy Joel, Donna Summer,
Styx, and Steely Dan at the top of their lungs.
Now that I have some perspective, I realize
that my parents were right: some of the best stuff did come out of their era, 90’s
music did rip a lot off of disco, and no attempts to copy Michael Jackson’s
style will ever be successful.
3. Their resiliency through tough times.
They
always see the best in whatever situation they’re in. It is through their faith
that I learned to gain my own.
2. The fact that they are still crazy in
love.
When we were growing up, they would sometimes kiss in
front of us kids, which we would respond to by shouting “Ewwwww!” Since I’ve
grown up, it’s much less “eww” and much more “aww!”
1. That they loved each other so much, they
wanted to be married forever.
As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints, we believe that families can be together for all eternity.
By getting married in the temple, our family will continue on after this life. After
all, true love stories have no ending!
Happy birthday, Mom and Dad! Thank you so
much for your amazing examples and for raising some pretty cool kids (if we do
say so ourselves).
Love you!

Love you so much! Thank you! Momma
ReplyDelete