Wednesday, August 24, 2011

God bless America


Of the thousands of people in this airport right now, a few hundred have me so choked up it’s difficult to describe.

I just had the pleasure of meeting members from two different branches of the military. They are on their way to Iraq and Afghanistan. Their faces tell thousands of stories without saying one word.

One of the men I spoke to is going back to Iraq after a two-week break at home. I’ve had a hard enough time leaving my loved ones. I can’t imagine the anguish of returning to danger after a peaceful break.

I can’t help wonder why they would want to protect me so I have the freedom to take my trip of a lifetime. What sort of courage and strength does one need to have to leave everything behind to serve one’s country? I am in awe of them all. It makes me proud to be an American.

As I was saying goodbye to one, I thanked him for the amazing service he renders on our country’s behalf. With a tired but hopeful smile, he said,

“It’s an honor, ma’am.”

The true honor was shaking hands with one of America’s finest. God bless our country and the service men and women that keep us safe.

1 comment: