Thursday, July 28, 2016

Finding the Loch Ness Monster

Tom and I went hunting for a monster. But not just any old monster; we were after the Loch Ness Monster.


Can you see it in the picture above? Look close. Closer.

It's just one of many magical things we saw in the Scottish Highlands!


Clan history

It was fun to get back to my roots as a descendant of the Campbell clan (though my "Scottish" accent sounds part Jamaican/ part Russian. Not pretty.)

Anyway, the Campbells of Argyll have a pretty mixed legacy. Though powerful, they violently attacked members of the MacDonald clan one night in the 1600's. Tom and I visited a monument dedicated those who perished in the Glencoe Massacre.

Every year, members of the MacDonald family visit and pay tribute to fallen ancestors.

It was bittersweet, but some nice old Scottish man reassured me that not all Campbells were bad. In fact, it was likely that one bad egg in the Campbell clan incited the violence. I guess there's one in every family, right?



At least we have a cool tartan:



Harry Potter-land

We had to visit the Glenfinnan Viaduct, made famous by the Hogwarts Express. Absolutely gorgeous backdrop!


This was the view from the opposite side from the viaduct. So pretty!


Back in Inverness, I found my future career in the middle job posting.


Isle of Skye and Eilean Donan castle

I'm going to let the pictures do the talking for most of this next bit. Breathtaking.

Five Sisters of Kintail


Eilean Donan Castle





Obviously a bagpipe player would be there. Because it just wasn't magical enough already.



Fairy pools of Skye




Incredibly blue water



Meditating on a rock





Seriously though. I spent the whole three hour hike saying, "Look at that! But just look at that! Ahhhhhhhhh it's just too beautiful!"


Then we visited the ruins of Urquhart Castle on the way back to Inverness. No biggie.

Nairn

And if all that wasn't enough, we went to the beach.


Yes, this is in Scotland. White, warm sand and turquoise waters. Obviously.



To sum it all up, Scotland is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment