Sunday, June 7, 2015

15 lessons that I learned by age 26

Well, it’s been a month since I turned the big 2-6.

So here are some things that I’m finally starting to understand (in no particular order).

1. Swing wide.
When you walk around a corner, swing wide. Everyone else in the world will hug the corner. Collision avoided. This could save lives.

2. Take the stairs
It’s good for you. Unless you’re going to the 23rd floor. Then you might collapse.

3. Vegetables actually taste good…
…if you make them the right way. Raw broccoli makes me sad, but roast those green trees with a bit of olive oil and garlic = perfection.

4. Family first. Always.
I can’t count the number of times my mom told me as a teenager, “Your friends will come and go, but your family is forever. They deserve your time.” She was right.

5. No one has it all figured out.
I see some people who seem like they have it together all of the time. Nay nay, my friend. Even the best of us get so overwhelmed by the pile of dirty dishes, they watch Netflix for hours to cope.

6. God gave you a big old world.
Go explore it.

7. Music from my youth is still the best.
Have you listened to those 90’s gems lately? I bet if you put on Spice Girls “Wannabe” or *NSync’s “Tearin’ Up My Heart”, you’d still know every single word.

8. Tomorrow’s another chance.
Even if you’ve completely messed up today, it’s not a forecast for tomorrow. Each day is another opportunity to start over and do better on everything you epically failed at yesterday.

9. Parents put up with a lot.
Last week I saw a toddler throwing a tantrum on the floor of the supermarket because his mom wouldn’t let him get a candy bar. I looked at the exhausted parent who dragged the kid by one arm to the check-out, and thought, “My parents probably did that exact thing when we were growing up.” Bless those goodly folk who gave me life.

10. Stress does not equal success.
I used to wear work stress as a badge of pride – thinking it proved my dedication. But then I came home irritated and exhausted each day, collapsing on the couch. Thankfully, a great quote put it in perspective: “If we fail to give our best personal self and undivided time to those who are truly important to us, one day we will regret it.” – Dieter Uchtdorf. Work is important, but people matter more.

11. Some people can be really rude.
But my mom was right. It’s not because they’re awful people; it’s because they’re still learning how to be people.

12. Guilt and stress can be good.
I’ve finally discovered that guilt and stress can be positive things, but only if they motivate you to action. It’s ok to feel guilty about not spending enough time with loved ones, but only if it makes you call them. Stress can be good too, but only if it gives you focus and the drive to get stuff done. They’re useful tools, but not when they lead to excessive self-criticism, apathy, or depression.

13. Be a bit skeptical
People love to impress others with ‘facts’. My older brother used tons of them to freak me out as a child. A few of his gems:

“You’re never more than 10 feet away from a spider.”
“The average person swallows more than 20 spiders in their sleep each year.”
“Dust is mostly dead skin cells.”
“Your entire body is covered in bacteria.”

While some may be true, I learned that a healthy dose of skepticism can be a good thing. I also learned to examine people’s motives. Some are genuinely trying to share information. Others, like my 7 year-old brother, are seeing if you can learn how to sleep with your mouth closed, lest the spiders crawl in.

14. Embrace semicolons; they’re good for your health.
I used to be afraid of using semicolons; they just seemed so awkward. But if you take some time to get to know them, you’ll end up loving their graceful way of breaking up independent clauses.

15. Everyone can teach you something.
But you’ll never learn if you’re always the one talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment