Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Five lessons I learned in 2013 (and how to avoid my mistakes!)


I’m overwhelmed with all of the wonderful things that have happened to my wonderful friends and family this year.

I’ve “awwwed” over pictures of your new little babies, squealed over school acceptance letters, and swelled with pride over your exciting job opportunities.

There have also been many tragic moments that I've witnessed in your lives.

I’ve felt devastated over the loss of your loved ones, cried when hearing about miscarriages, and felt stinging disappointment as some of you have been passed up for desperately-wanted jobs.

It makes me wonder- what defines your year?

For me, 2013 is a million small moments. Some happy, some sad, some silly, some heartbreaking.

The joys have fuelled my soul, but it is through the struggles that I’ve come to know myself. I’ve also learned something that is true for every single person: You are stronger than you realise.

A few months ago, an amazing role model and dear friend passed away; my sweet grandma. It’s been a difficult process, but I’ve come to understand something my dad taught me – life is for the living. My grandma has accomplished everything she needed to do on this earth, and the greatest tribute I can give to her is striving to live like she did. It’s not always easy to carry on, but it’s the only way to fulfil life’s mission.

There are so many tests, but somehow through the tears, we manage to feebly rise to our feet and accept the challenge to continue.

Despite the trials, I’m learning to wake up each morning and feel my own heartbeat, realising with gratitude that God has given me another day to learn in life’s great classroom.

Here are my top five lessons learned this year:

1. People are ALWAYS most important. When someone is talking, put down all electronic devices and look in their eyes.

2. If you don’t have enough time in your day to laugh, you are too busy. Cut something out.

3. Always believe something amazing is about to happen, and learn to redefine your definition of amazing. You’ll be astounded by how many miracles you witness in a single day.

4. Be patient with yourself. Lasting improvement takes time.

5. God will never let you down. Even though sometimes you’ll feel like you’re all alone, He’s always got your back.

Here are five less-serious but nevertheless important lessons I learned:

1. Hunger must be addressed first if anything else productive is to follow.

2. Gnomes are creepy. Really creepy. Like right up there with clowns kind of creepy.

3. Tourists walk slowly in London and will always walk slowly. You do too in unfamiliar places so be patient.

4. The morning will go so much better if you get everything ready the night before. There’s nothing less attractive than a frantic wife shrieking that she can’t find socks.

5.  Find a spouse that is endlessly compassionate, even if you ignore your own advice to plan ahead and then shriek that you can’t find socks. Thanks for being wonderful,Tom!

Thank you all for letting me learn from your examples this year. I’m overwhelmed by your love, support, and true kindness. Life would be nothing without the incredible people in my life.

As Thomas S. Monson says, 

"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey and share
our love with friends and family. One day, each of us will run out of tomorrows. Let us not put off what is most important."

Here’s to 2014; may the Lord continue bless you and your families in the New Year.

Here's me pretending to kiss
a creepy gnome. 

Love,
Wendy

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful summary of life....aaahhhh life! Love you, Momma

    ReplyDelete