Saturday, December 29, 2012

Be of good cheer!


I’ve been through an emotional roller coaster with the world news lately.

There is so much suffering. I mourn for those who lose loved ones and wish there was something more I could do to help. I feel mad at those who intentionally hurt innocent people. I call for justice.

I’ve finally realized something, though.

The world doesn’t need me to be angry. I am not doing anyone a service by letting my sorrow skew my perspective of society.

What can I give the world, then? My love.

It is natural to feel sorrow for those who have suffered great losses. However, the danger comes when I stew in the sorrow until I see the world through jaded eyes.

There is still goodness left, and all can contribute to it.

I lost a grandfather this year and I miss him greatly. I recently realized that the best way I can honor his memory is striving to develop his qualities. He had a wonderful sense of humor and the ability to make everyone around him feel important. He always had time to listen and just seeing his smile would make my day better.

Through trying to be more like him, I can share his life with others.

It takes courage to love, especially when hatred can come so easily. However, only true, selfless love can cure the world’s serious problems.

In The Lord of the Rings, Sam says,

“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.”

I truly believe in that. I know so many amazing people who inspire me to stay positive when the world looks gloomy; to stay joyful when I start to feel bitter. To heal, to laugh, to learn. To forgive and look forward. Each carries a light that reminds me to stay courageous and keep fighting.

That light is ultimately an emulation of the Savior, who died for each of us. He loves us so deeply. His love truly saves us. Through His help, we can cultivate that kind of love. There is no limit to the good we can do!

Let go of the sorrows of 2012 to more fully embrace the joys of 2013. Thank you for all your love and support this year. May you have a wonderful and blessed New Year.

Love, Wendy

“Let us be of good cheer as we go about our lives. Although we live in increasingly perilous times, the Lord loves us and is mindful of us. The purpose of mortality is to learn and to grow to be more like our Father, and it is often during the difficult times that we learn the most, as painful as the lessons may be.”

p.s. Did you see that Shel updated the blog too?! Check out her babely words in the post just below this one. 


2 comments: