I. Can’t. Sleep.
It’s one of those nights where the list of everything I have to do stares me in the face and threatens to destroy me.
It’s the start of a new term, and a vicious one at that. This one’s going to push me to my limits. I am wondering how I’m going to get everything done I need to.
It seems like there are never enough hours in a day to do what I need to, much less what I want to.
But I’ve had a thought that will hopefully ring as true to you as it did to me.
You don’t have to do everything.
Wait, what?! I don’t have to check off everything on my list? Won’t that make me a miserable and utter failure?
Nope, my friend. It won’t. And guess what? Life will go on, too!
It seems like such a basic concept, and yet I forget it on a daily basis in my early twenties.
So, all you check-listers and to-doers, this one’s for you.
Write down the five most important things you need to do today. Yep, just five. You can have a separate laundry list for the other goop you need to take care of (p.s. I dare you to say the word ‘goop’ and not smile. Impossible.).
Then get those five done. If you are anything like me, half the time you have is wasted wondering how you’re going to get all those things done. Focus on one thing at a time, and worry about the rest when you come to them.
Finished them all? Good! If you have time left after those five, turn to the laundry list and go from there. Pat yourself on the back for getting your main tasks done.
Didn’t finish them all? Still good! You tried. You prioritized and that, my friend isn’t easy to do. Congratulations on your effort. And remember my new favorite quote from the leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Thomas S.Monson:
“Have the determination to make the effort, the single-mindedness to work toward a worthy goal, and the courage not only to face the challenges that inevitably come but also to make a second effort, should such be required.
Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, “I’ll try again tomorrow.”
It’s not about always getting everything done on your list. It’s about giving everything you can to the things the matter most.
Best of luck to everyone, especially those who struggle with this like I do. You can do this :)

Beautifully said, Wendy dear!!! I am so glad you posted this, because right now I have a list of 10 things I thought I needed to do before tomorrow. Then I put a star next to 5 of them that HAVE to be done...the funny thing is I put the stars before I read your blog. We were totally on the same brain wave! :) Love you oodles! Good luck with all that you have to do, I'm so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteYou are an insightful little one.
ReplyDeletestressed!
ReplyDelete& it's only the fourth week of school!
college does that to you.
Sounds like a job for white cheddar Cheese It's! Ahhh, sweet indigestion...
ReplyDeleteWell written, now get some sleep sweetie. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete