Thursday, November 3, 2011

Proof that I go to class

Since many of my loved ones back home are questioning whether or not I'm actually attend school out here, I present you with today's blog post.

Yesterday we put on a live news broadcast for class.

My teacher assigned me the role of editor, which made me super nervous! He emphasized that if anything went wrong during the broadcast, it’s ultimately the editor’s fault. I had a co-editor, Patrick, which made me feel better because we could split the blame!
Patrick and I at our morning editorial meeting


Luckily, our group was able to pull it out in the end, despite several hiccups along the way.

When one of our stories fell through, I knew we needed to fill in the time at the end, so I suggested we do a weather bit.

Everyone else was off filming and editing, so I had to film the segment. I may have a future in meteorology…just kidding!

It was a truly amazing experience to see how our class really came together. Someone would scream, “I need a tripod!” and the next second, one would be flying across the room.
Fixing my earpiece, and apparently staring longingly at our logo

We knew we were going live at 4 p.m., and we stuck to that. Even though we had to drop two stories at the very end, we made our deadline.

I haven’t been that stressed in a while, but I feel like that stress really helped me push myself and push others around me.

If you want, you can check out our broadcast here:
My "weather girl" segment starts at minute 7.


Tonight I got to meet an Indian queen!
She spoke at the university’s International Scholarship Recipient Banquet. She was absolutely lovely. (She’s the one to my right.)

When I received the invitation, it cracked me up because they requested that all participants wear national costume.

I’m still trying to figure out what the United States’ national costume is…


Some helpful classmates suggested I be a cheerleader, a cowboy, or a pioneer.

I thought of being a handcart-pushing cowgirl with a mean high kick.

Regardless, I was impressed with the beautiful costumes of Kazakhstan, India, Spain, and many others.

Then my flatmate Gen and I had to take advantage of the gorgeous rain outside.

Isn’t she lovely?






 








So here it is. This is officially proof that I do go to class. Yes, I do more than just travelling. No really! Except at the end of next week when I go to Barcelona. Perhaps that undoes my entire argument…

Only 7 weeks until I’m back in my home country for Christmas. Maybe I can figure out the national costume while I’m there.

Love to all!


1 comment:

  1. The you tube video was awesome!!!! Im bookmarking this page and hope we see you soon on TV!!!!

    ReplyDelete