Saturday, September 10, 2011

Paris Holds the Key


Bonjour!

I returned this morning from the City of Lights! I was fortunate enough to have a few days to roam around the beautiful city of Paris. My one regret is not learning how to speak French beforehand. However, in case you go to France, here is the only important word: boulangerie.

Translation: Baked bread deliciousness. Whoa, nelly. I had three baguettes, two tartellettes framboises (fruit tarts), one éclair, one croissant, and one crepe. Oh so yummy! But enough with the food and on with the sites!

My plan of attack was quite simple: look at map, find cool places on map, go see cool places. With my trusty map, my water bottle, and sustenance (bread, of course), I set off.

The obvious first choice was the Tour Eiffel. Incredible. Prepare to be barraged with photos of it:

The bird wasn’t even planned.

My other top choice was the Arc de Triomphe.

Les Invalides was beautiful. I think I’ll have a gold dome on my future home.

The biggest surprise for me was Notre Dame. I knew I’d love it, but I didn’t know it would fill me with such wonder. The architecture is truly awe-inspiring.

I paid the 5 Euros to go in, which was the best purchase I made on the trip. Here are some photos.

I got to see the bell inside.

I think I’m funny. Gargoyle eating the Eiffel Tower.

Other gargoyle licking another statue. Yep, I’m mature. I’m looking at this breath taking view of Paris and that’s what I photograph.

Here’s the nice man who made my Nutella and banana crepe. Let me tell you, these Europeans sure love their Nutella (for good reason!).

La Madeleine is a marvelous cathedral. It has a very reverent feel.

Jardin du Luxembourg was so peaceful and serene.

I got to go inside the Louvre. If you read my previous post about art, you know how much I love it! It was like Christmas.

Like any good tourist, my first stop had to be the Mona Lisa. Fantastic! Though much smaller than I’d imagined.

I’ve always loved Winged Victory of Samothrace and I got to see it in person! It was much larger than I’d imagined, which makes up for the Mona Lisa size.

Seated scribe! This one’s especially for my brother, Cole, who would appreciate it as only someone who took Selytina’s class could.

The Venus de Milo was so much more beautiful in person than any picture could portray.

With that, my fun trip to Paris was over. It was time to go back to London town, but not before I got one more Eiffel Tower shot!

Next adventure: school. Probably slightly less exciting than Paris. I keep forgetting that's why I'm over here in the first place! Until then,
Wendy

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, Wendy! This is so beautiful!!! Of course you would be just fine wandering around Paris by yourself with a map and a water bottle. These pictures are breathtaking. I absolutely love all of it!!! I can't wait to hear about your day in Paris! --Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the night shot of the Eiffel tower. There are so many inspiring sights. Was the hunchback hiding behind the gargoyles? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are having a wonderful time! I can't wait to join you and begin our fun adventures together next year! I am glad you will be able to guide me to the wonderful eateries! It all sounds heavenly! Love ya! Auntie Lalo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris is one of my favourite cities, everything about it is beautiful and magical :)

    ReplyDelete